11.14.2014

Recent MTGO Playing Experiences, to Rant or not to Rant?

While attendance for both MPDC and SPDC look stable this season with a good STD Pauper dedicated PRE player base, I have noticed more and more ranting posts about the new client aka V4, but also MTGO and WOTC on various community platforms recently.

Though the game, Magic The Gathering, is undoubtedly still very entertaining, fun and complex, many regular online players seem to keep away from it nowadays, and for various reasons. I must admit that includes myself as well.

1) A decreasing interest for the game, motivated by the way WOTC treats their customers online.


As Gwyned states : The fundamental problem with Wizards of the Coast in regards to Magic Online is this: They see no reason to provide motivation for you to play. Magic the Gathering is a hugely successful enterprise. People all over the world love to play it. And so they created this software that allows you to play it online. But to them, that's where their responsibility ends

I fully agree. We’ve been given virtual presents and gifts for the MTGO tenth anniversary, as a reward for our loyalty, as customers. That was nearly 3 years ago and it felt good. Not that I’m only interested in free stuff. The clan features and options are not really friendly in V4, increasing them and making them better or simply operational would be entertaining and  motivating enough, but I can’t figure out how expansive it would be for WOTC.

2) A resource heavy guzzler-software (V4) that old computers (even new ones) can’t hardly run anymore.


Nice survey ! How do we collectively feel about MTGO? (Select the blank lines so you can read the text !)

In the comments


"My issue with the new client comes down to one main thing. My computer can't handle the program. (…)It just isn't worth it for me to play if I'm not going to have a chance at being competitive. I'd really like to play in the KTK Limited Champinship qualifiers that start this week, but I see no point in getting my hopes up when I know it will just end in frustration.
Since I can't play the format I like best, I spend little to no time using the program and can't really comment on what I do or don't like among the features that you are trying to gather information on.

Right now my computer is fine with everything else I use it for, so I really can't justify shelling out the money for a new computer just to play MTGO."


Concerned here too. Could not play a complete match without being disconnected, once or several times, all along the last 10 challenges I was given to play this week. I know I am not alone. I’ve been discussing this with other players. Some say they never experienced this yet, others are really fed up with that unstable connection problem already. Of course you can get back into the ongoing game by restarting the software. First relog is always a miss, at least for me, second one is always successful but when I’m back I’m always behind on time and do often get a loss for timing out in the end. Quite frustrating. I bought a new PC 3 months ago because my old one could not handle V4, looks like it can run it now, but I really can’t figure out where those disconnections come from. I play other Online games and MTGO alone causes me such problems.
One more thing. WOTC is a US firm, and US players seem to be reporting less technical problems than European players (prove me wrong in the comments). Furthermore, their “ping” or delays seem to be shorter and more efficient. I know we're not all equal when it comes to MTGO though.
What is your opinion on that?

3) A buggy software and a slow motioned customers refund policy evolution.

Yes MTGO is bugged. Very bugged.
Interface is bugged, display is bugged or slowed down, cards are bugged and that deeply impacts the players gaming experience, for high scale competitors as well as newcomers. Of course the situation is overall getting better, though every program update can bring a new incredible “surprise”.





Yes, WOTC had to fix and update their MTGO reimbursement policy. I can easily understand getting to the point that regulars were not interested in joining Online pay-to-play events anymore. Nightmare buggy crashing events where you pay to enter and get no reimbursement nor prizes at all after playing and winning several rounds should have never been. Changing that bad customers refund policy took like... forever.

 Don’t get me wrong, I am still in love with MTG.
I hearsay one of the most difficult thing in life is to make good use of your leisure.
Quite relevant.
I’ll be focusing more on paper play within a smaller local community, as well as playing more boardgames with real life friends, until my online MTG experience gets better and less frustrating, meaning I can find the motivation to log in from time to time.

What about you?
Do you still find motivations to play MTGO?
Did you buy a new PC for V4?
Are you happy with the client and the new customer reimbursement policy?

I'd like to read you in the comments.

Thanks for reading.
Adner.


No comments:

Post a Comment