11.24.2014

Congratulations to MPDC 27.05 winner - Fimbulvetrr! The interview.



Hello and congratulations on your win, Fimbulvetrr!

Thank you very much!!1!


1. Could you please introduce yourself?
Some Juan, 28 y/o.
2. What is your identity as a wizard?
I like drafting, and among player run events I really like Classic Heirloom. I’m giving Standard Pauper another go after failing pretty hard last time I played it. I think it’s got something to do with being stubborn and wanting to play monoblack decks. Luckily, Treasure Cruised has forced the splash!


3. How did you start playing Magic? MTGO? Standard Pauper?
I started back when Urza’s Destiny was released; a couple of high school mates who played MtG got me hooked into the game. I remember I would happily trade my Masticores for anything since I considered discarding a card during your upkeep a terrible and bad thing.
I created my MTGO account last year, since a couple of friends still played. I was told to try out pauper, til the rust came off. Last time I’d touched an MtG card I was still beardless!


4. Your favorite Standard Pauper deck ever? Your favorite card?
Haven’t really played many standard pauper events, both W and UW Heroic decks were pretty good, too, last year.   The best standard pauper card has to be Treasure Cruise.


5. What led you to playing the deck you won with?
Gray Merchant of Asphodel and Treasure Cruise.
5.1. Would you play that deck again in a tournament? If no, why?
Definitely, so I go 0-3 and brew something new to feed with.

6. Could you explain some of the more interesting choices in your deck list? Like Disowned Ancestor, Nimbus Naiad and Mind Rot.
Nimbus Naiad is the best three drop in the colours and you can and want to bestow it. Disowned Ancestor is a solid blocker and enabler of Mardu’s raid, which is a pretty cute play on turn 2. Also, since a bestowed Ancestor stops everything in its tracks and you have enough digging power to make huge life swings or increase devotion. Mind Rot is just 2x1 discard effect.

7. In which match-ups did you like Mind Rot and Eternal Thirst from your sideboard?
Mind Rot did well against Izzet Control and the one mirror match , and I don’t think I sided in Eternal Thirst more than once.

7.1 How did Feast of Dreams perform throughout the tournament?
Poorly, it was replaced every single game for either Negate or Pharika’s Cure.

8. A short recap of the tournament?
4x Izzet Control, 1x UB Devotion, 1x Monored Aggro, 1x White Weenie. I don’t know if it’s interesting, but chaining Merchants is always fun hehe.

9. What card did you miss the most/Is there anything you wanted to add after the tournament?
Black is severely lacking in decent removal. Feast only killed bird tokens, Pharika’s and Injury are good but not an answer to threats. Deck will pretty much fold to 1 big heroic creature.

10. What do you consider to be the best archetypes at the moment?
Izzet Control, probably.

11. What is your strategy against these top decks with Dimir?
To nullify their birds, minotaurs and red removal with my (bestowed) ancients, to discard their counters with Skullhunters or Disciples, and to resolve a Benthic Giant.

12. What’s your opinion on White Aggro deck, which you played against in the finals?
Only loses to flood. (Editor's note: I like this one.)

13. Why did you choose to play 3 copies of Treasure Cruise, one of the most powerful cards in Standard Pauper?
Because I don’t want two in my opening hand.  Deck doesn’t run many instants or sorceries to fill the graveyard with, so a two of in a starting hand probably means I’d be in trouble against fast decks. I run 3 Read the Bones as well.


14. Do you belong to Standard Pauper Players clan? What benefits do you feel from being in the clan?
No, I’m in a clan with some friends tho. Benefits are all the yelling happening in Skype. (EN: It's like people can speak silently on Skype :D)

15. Do you have any tips for a new Standard Pauper player trying to Top 8 his first tournament?
Not really, I got lucky. Play Treasure Cruise, maybe?


16. Shoutouts?
Shoutout to Torreth and his Nimbus Naiad suggestion!!!

Thanks for answering, good luck in the next tournament! Make sure I can interview you again!

No comments:

Post a Comment