11.14.2013

I Just Watched Pacific Rim or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Monsters

Having participated in MTGO for over a month now (and playing Standard Pauper for most of that time span), I can safely conclude that I have no idea what I am doing. If I did know anything about Magic, I would not be attempting to force an R/G ramp deck into a game environment intent on discouraging creature play at every turn. Adner, Heliod bless his soul, opened up Pandora's Box (appropriately enough, I suppose, given Theros' theme) with his B/U control, and now the premier tournament-winning deck plays a game of attrition that forces one's opponent to experience Hemingway levels of impotence (love ya, Ads!)

Enough with the rant. I love creatures. I love combat tricks. I want to seize my destiny. Namely, summoning a massive two-headed snake to devour my enemies - or, failing that, a highly aggravated cyclops. This is the deck I constructed to fulfill my desire.

He is so strong, I will call him Bane or: Category Five Kaiju
You know it's my destiny.
10 Forest
4 Gruul Guildgate
10 Mountain

4 Deadly Recluse
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Ill-Tempered Cyclops
4 Nessian Asp
4 Spearpoint Oread
4 Zhur-Taa Druid

4 Lightning Strike
4 Pit Fight
4 Ranger' Guile

Sideboard
3 Academy Raider
1 Ruination Wurm
3 Act of Treason
3 Naturalize
1 Phytoburst
4 Shock

The premise is simple enough: utilize the Mystic and Druid to fuel the arrival of badass monstrosities. The Recluse serves as a glorified removal spell, while the Oread can either assist her monstrous brethren or take the field of battle herself. Lightning Strike and Pit Fight help control creature presence, while Ranger's Guile is a nasty surprise for any removal.

I utilized a method recommended on the Wizards site: construct the sideboard by forming alternate game plans, rather than a laundry list of counters to certain deck types. The deck can play more offensively by slotting in Academy Raider and the Wurm (against control decks), while Act of Treason and Shock can help against other creature decks. Naturalize is mandatory because, you know, enchantments and stuff, and Phytoburst is a nice bomb. I think.

How does the deck perform? I don't know, it's 1:00 in the morning. I assume poorly, given that I constructed this monstrosity (ha ha). I plan on broadcasting later today on my Twitch Channel, so maybe I can try this deck out in a highly public fashion, thus increasing my chances of humiliation. Huzzah.

If you finished this post, I admire your courage. Hopefully I will see you on the magical field of magical battles.
-Kyle "ChaoticCrawler"

1 comment:

  1. Really looking forward to seeing the deck in action on your Twitch Channel mate !!

    ReplyDelete